How You Can Help the Salvadoran Activists
Sample Script for El Salvador Desk at the US State Department
You can use the following "script" to talk to Mr. Cornforth. If at any point you get cut off, be sure to ask the final question -- "will you call the ambassador and assure that he calls for the terrorism charges be dropped?"
- I'm calling because I am very concerned about the
July 2 arrests of the people protesting water privatization in
Suchitoto, El Salvador.
- The Salvadoran police violently captured community leaders
- shooting rubber bullets and tear gas at close range - and local
community members and is now charging them with terrorism.
- The Salvadoran government's disproportionate reaction
raises serious concerns about human rights and the freedom of
organization and expression.
- The US government has publicly supported the Salvadoran
government, including supporting the passage of the anti-terrorism
law last September.
- It is extremely important that the U.S. stand up for human
rights everywhere and not let protest be criminalized in the name
of a so-called fight against terrorism.
- Will you call Ambassador Glazer and tell him to call for the terrorism charges to be dropped?